Saturday, October 2, 2010

Maus I

Well I week or so ago I had read the first Maus novel and I thought Spegielman did a wonderful job narrating writing the novel as a whole. I think he did a great job showing the issues that are brought up being a son of a Jewish Holocost survivor and how difficult it really was growing up in such an environment. I have a hard time though feeling for his father though. His first wife and second wife were both in the same circumstances as he was and they didn't seem as bitter about it as he was. I think part of the way he is because the lost of his first wife and he really doesn't want to express what he really went through or tries to suppress it all together. The thing I found really unique was when the comic book that was written about his father was published it was done using humans as the characters. I don't really know why he chose that route but I did think while reading that part was, wow if it was all done in human form the story would have been so much more graphic and possibly scary that it wouldn't have been suitable for younger people to read. Bit overall it was a great book and once I started reading it was really hard to put down.

1 comment:

  1. I felt the same about Maus, wonderful read! I especially liked the use of animal characters, masks of animals etc... to get across different messages. I think Maus has a lot to say about 2nd and third generation survivors. How the tragedy affects his son could shed some light into the feelings and thoughts of such survivors.
    I have to say the human characters in the comic book portion were unexpected and a bit confusing (as to why he did that) however I think there was some type of attempt to disconnect with the experience, to not relive the memory by making it seperate and yet part of the story.
    Great thoughts, this is my fav reading so far!

    ReplyDelete